High School Diploma
- Students can earn an 18 credit accredited high school diploma through Smart Horizons Career Online High School Program (SHCOHS).
- Students can transfer up to 10 credits from other accredited institutions
- Students have 18 months to complete the program; however, they can complete the program earlier based on the number of courses needed. If students enroll in SHCOHS with no previous high school credits and complete one credit per month they can obtain a high school diploma within 18 months.
- Students may work on their courses any time and can work at their own pace, completing more than 1 credit per month, and completing the program in less than 18 months.
- Students will receive 15 hours per week of online instruction at Garfield Jubilee. However, if students have access to a computer at home or at the library they can continue online coursework after school or weekends. This will allow the students to complete the coursework earlier.
Students will have online and onsite Educational Coaches to provide assistance, support and encouragement. The online Educational Coach is a Certified Instructor which will provide 24/7 technical support. The Educational Coaches at Garfield Jubilee are Certified Instructors and mentors.
Occupational Skilled Training
Students, who are working or have their high school diploma, can choose to enter into one of the three careers: construction, health care or retail/customer service.
Garfield YouthBuild Program pays your college tuition.
Students can also be dual enrolled in CCAC skilled occupational certificate classes:
- Building and Construction – welding, plumbing, and facilities maintenance technology
- Health Care – Medical Terminology and Certified Nursing
Community Service Learning
Students are involved in the community service learning activities to build leadership skills and to help revitalize neighborhoods.
Students also receive wages/incentives for work experience and classroom activities.
- Intensive Case Management
- Housing Assistance
- Child Care and Health Care Referrals
- Other Needed Supportive Services
Students receive job readiness training to hone skills in resume development, interviews and job search skills that will lead to job placement during enrollment and 12 months after enrollment. Job Developer will also help you connect with housing, transportation, and child care resources.
Garfield Jubilee YouthBuild Program Accomplishments for 2019
- 100% customer service certification
- 92% job placement with retention rate of 100%
- 75% increase in literacy and numeracy
When Bryan Allen started attending Garfield Jubilee Association’s YouthBuild program, his goal was to find a steppingstone to move forward in life. He accomplished that and much more, earning a NCCER Certificate, a Rise-Up Customer Service Certificate, and an Electrical Foundations Micro-Certificate (Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy), which he used to help teach fellow students robotics. Bryan graduated from the YB program in a completely different place than when he started. His interest in the program, its hands-on work experience component, and participation in activities with GJA’s community partner, Federal Home Loan Bank, motivated Bryan to come out of his shell and become more outgoing.
Bryan’s hard work and persistence was worth it: he is currently working at the Home Depot, a job in which GJA staff helped him secure in order to get work experience 15 months ago. As a service associate who is now trained to operate a forklift and reach truck, he enjoys interacting with and assisting customers.
In the future, Bryan would like to become more involved in the technology and robotics fields “that’s going to be the new future”.
Congratulations to Indasia Carpenter
CNA State Test
WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU !!!!!
Garfield Jubilee Association, Inc. is currently recruiting for its YouthBuild Program
Be the change and empower your life
Contact Dion Jones, Program Coordinator for more information
DON’T DELAY -- DO IT NOW!
Garfield Jubilee Association is currently recruiting for its CNA and Construction Training Tracks. * CNA students must be 18 years of age and have a High School Diploma. The age range for Construction is 16 to 24 years of age. To get the word out we have been using social media. You can catch our live podcast on Thursday evenings from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm hosted by our Program Coordinator, Dion Jones. Guest has included our staff, YouthBuild alumni students, and our community partners. Join us at YouthBuildpgh and follow us on FaceBook and Twitter. Have your questions answered and hear some of the success stories of our YouthBuild alumni students. Flyers are also being distributed.
- Must be 16 to 24 years of age
- Meet the low-income requirements
- Reside in City of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County
Telephone: 412-665-5200 or 412-665-5206
Garfield Jubilee Public Information Statement
Garfield Jubilee YouthBuild Program is funded by U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), Employment and Training Administration (ETA), as part of the total project cost totaling $1,543,202; $1,098,520 or 71% is financed by DOL and $444,682 or 29% is financed by non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor endorsement by DOL, ETA, or the U.S. Government.